Click for DeAngelo
Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for Cape Scott
Click for Delta
Click for Nordlund
Click for JetForums
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > SportFish Yachts > Bertram Yacht > Bertram sportfish "Certifiable" for sale?

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Bertram sportfish "Certifiable" for sale?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geriksen
Did six "certifiables" show up when you did the search or just these two?
After a certain number of years after the name being changed or the document not being renewed, they roll off of the coast guards website.
Capt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1
Hi,

I will ask the question again.

Would you care to explain how you know so much about this whole arrangement?

Saying you just had to make a telephone call indicates you do have access to inside knowledge.

If so feel free to let us know as currently it seems you have a vested interest in blowing smoke over everything negative in any of the posts relating to any Bertram Product.

First of all there is only a hand full of all of these (models) that have been made and you can count on your hands and toes the amount of these boats that are here on the east coast. A very small percentage of them fish Tournaments on a regular base. It’s very easy to get to know your peers (and their owners) when you travel in the same circuit. We (small boat Capt’s) are a small group of comrades. I’m not talking about the type of guys we refer to as a “28's” (28 years old, 28” waist, and 28k a year and only lasts on a boat 28 days…), I’m referring to a group of men that have respect, and longevity with and for there owners, vessels, and peers.
Why is it whenever someone offers an answer to a question, or corrects someone’s comment (that’s not exactly true), we get bombarded with how do you know, why do you know, or better yet can you please explain how you know this “inside information”! In the world of us small boat guys, the good one’s share with each other what we know to be true, offer help when we can, and trust each other. When you work next to the same people day in and day out, you get to know them...be it on a assembly line at a factory, an office, up hard in the yard doing maintenance work, or 150 NM offshore at the fishing grounds for 3 days, It’s all the same. If you (or anyone else for that matter) do not believe what I have posted, that okay. Just the same, I’m getting tired of having to qualify everything that I have posted (like a lot of other newbie’s that I have read saying the same thing) to you big boat forum Godfathers……… It’s very obvious a lot of you do not like new people posting.
jbk4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1
Hi,

I will ask the question again.

Would you care to explain how you know so much about this whole arrangement?

Saying you just had to make a telephone call indicates you do have access to inside knowledge.

If so feel free to let us know as currently it seems you have a vested interest in blowing smoke over everything negative in any of the posts relating to any Bertram Product.

The ONLY THING that I said is that there were (2) 63’ “Certifiable” and that the (1) that was at the Miami boat show (last week) is not the one that had the issues last year!!!! If that’s smoke, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya!!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #34 (permalink)

If as Geriksen says that is a 2005 boat, JBK is spot on.
The 630 Certif which had its problems was a 2008 6 months plus old during the problem and having about 900 engine hours.
At least thats what I read on the web.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #35 (permalink)

I too, saw the boat at the Miami show. first thing I did was ask the Marine Max rep the story and learned it was Sid's first 63', not the second one that delam'ed.

pretty straightforward way to get an answer if the name rang a bell on the spot like it did with me.

and no I am not associated with Allied or MM, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express!
54' Bertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54' Bertram
I too, saw the boat at the Miami show. first thing I did was ask the Marine Max rep the story and learned it was Sid's first 63', not the second one that delam'ed.

pretty straightforward way to get an answer if the name rang a bell on the spot like it did with me.

and no I am not associated with Allied or MM, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express!
Well, that is good news. There was nobody on or near the boat when I was there. If I was Marine Max I would remove the pillows, sand and varnish the back of the chair and do a better job of wet sanding the transom.
I'll bet I am not the only one who thought that was the de-lam boat.
geriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, that is good news. There was nobody on or near the boat when I was there. If I was Marine Max I would remove the pillows, sand and varnish the back of the chair and do a better job of wet sanding the transom.
I'll bet I am not the only one who thought that was the de-lam boat.

I walked across to the 50' Bert they had for sale and asked the question. Marine Max has had the boat for sale for over a year. I think removing the name or pillows would have been entirely up to Sid, the owner of the boat and since he names every one of his boats the same, guess it doesn't bother him.

btw, the boat went under contract the first day of the show. survey was to be immediately following the show and since I didn't hear back from the broker, I assume the deal concluded. someone got a heck of a deal at 1.2 mil
Old 02-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I walked across to the 50' Bert they had for sale and asked the question. Marine Max has had the boat for sale for over a year. I think removing the name or pillows would have been entirely up to Sid, the owner of the boat and since he names every one of his boats the same, guess it doesn't bother him.

btw, the boat went under contract the first day of the show. survey was to be immediately following the show and since I didn't hear back from the broker, I assume the deal concluded. someone got a heck of a deal at 1.2 mil
hmm, I missed the 50 so I didn't see those guys. I was on the boat by my self for quite some time and nobody ever came by. The info sheet on the boat said it was a dealer trade.
Oh well, it wasn't the delam boat and it sold anyway so it's all good. :-)

Maybe event like Certifiable and Absolutely really don't make much difference in sales.....
I guess most buyers really don't do that much research.
I think the members of this forum would look at any late model Bertram very carefully before buying it but the general public will probably never even hear about these problems. I guess that is good for Bertram.
If I didn't know about the issues I would probably still pick Bertram over it's competitors myself.
geriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
If I didn't know about the issues I would probably still pick Bertram over it's competitors myself.

This being said with no ties to Bertram, MM, and/or Allied, All manufacturers at one point or another have had issues….. Some are swept under the carpet; some are hung out to dry….. In either case the internet has played a big roll in getting information out to the public...... if someone thinks the public should know…….
Old 02-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #40 (permalink)

Hi,

jbk4001 - Thank you for answering my question posted earlier.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #41 (permalink)

when the delam came up months ago I asked several brokers about it. I was told Hatteras has had a delam as well as viking at some point in the past.

my point here is 1 delam and now 1 who really knows how or why she sank isn't going to kill a company. if both Hatteras and Viking really did have a delam issue at some point, why don't the Betram naysayers feel the same about those brands? I think as the internet has grown, so has the number of people who learn of thses issues and offer their opinion.

while I own what almost everybody comments is one of the best rough seas, bulletproof boats ever made, I wonder that of the 177 produced, was there never 1 single problem with any of them? No internet back then so maybe nobody ever knew.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
when the delam came up months ago I asked several brokers about it. I was told Hatteras has had a delam as well as viking at some point in the past.

my point here is 1 delam and now 1 who really knows how or why she sank isn't going to kill a company. if both Hatteras and Viking really did have a delam issue at some point, why don't the Betram naysayers feel the same about those brands? I think as the internet has grown, so has the number of people who learn of thses issues and offer their opinion.

while I own what almost everybody comments is one of the best rough seas, bulletproof boats ever made, I wonder that of the 177 produced, was there never 1 single problem with any of them? No internet back then so maybe nobody ever knew.
I think you're correct, one faulty hull here or there will not ruin a company. The way they handle it though is another matter. Customer service is what makes the difference in a competitive industry.
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:

There are several more then 2 boats with problems, the other 6 or so were swept under the carpet, couldn't cram anymore underneath the carpet and now they're starting to pop up on the internet all from one manufacturer. It's one thing to have A boat have delamination issues. It's another thing to have around 8 of them spread over around 5 model years.......
Capt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt J
There are several more then 2 boats with problems, the other 6 or so were swept under the carpet, couldn't cram anymore underneath the carpet and now they're starting to pop up on the internet all from one manufacturer. It's one thing to have A boat have delamination issues. It's another thing to have around 8 of them spread over around 5 model years.......

do tell then. I'd love to hear about these others. not seen them on the internet and I would think I, and ALL of us would have heard about them. so please, give us the facts. can't wait to hear!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #45 (permalink)

Delamination!

Quote:
do tell then. I'd love to hear about these others. not seen them on the internet and I would think I, and ALL of us would have heard about them. so please, give us the facts. can't wait to hear!
I think you are only partly right in regards to the effect the internet has had in making the Bertram issue so much greater than previous "1 or 2" delaminations at other boat builders
In the case of the 630, it was a LIFE THREATENING catostrophic failure, not a cosmetic issue needing a re-glass, buff n' polish. Add that to a large corporation pulling up the gates and manning the walls and it makes all past issues pale in comparison. As one prolific poster said early on in that thread, the new 630 owner could have been way out in the Indian Ocean with family and friends when this "DELAMINATION" occurred. We then would be discussing the "mysterious" sinking of a 630 and LOSS of life. Would Hatterras or Viking cooly ignore such an issue when safety is at stake? Doubt it.
To me (my .02c worth) this is most troubling, that many more Berts could be out there...far out there, ready to "delaminate".
Kafue is online now   Reply With Quote