Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

bertram 510 comments & opinions

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by hookumup, Feb 2, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hookumup

hookumup New Member

Please help
    I would like to find comments and opinions on the newer bertram 510, like 2008 and 2009. i have heard lots of general bertram comments including financial condition of parent. I would appreciate specifics on construction and handling. thanks for your input
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Your new membership and post...

... is somewhat suspect.

Let's see... lawyer PM's me earlier today. Requests 2 separate e-mail addresses for 1 screen name, then proceeds to post inquiry in the General Discussion forum about user opinions following a well published thread on the delamination of a Bertram hull???

Hmmm.. either I'm just throwing bait... or you're chumming in shark infested waters.

On grounds alone, I should sink this thread. Instead, I'll let you swim with your own.

YFmembers, welcome our latest; "HookUmUp".
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Whoops... HUGE mistake. SO sorry Hookumup! I screwed up!!! Completely mistook you for someone else.

Such a feeble-minded Admin... :eek:
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

DK about 08/09, but captained an 02 for 3 years...Not impressed with how it handled even moderate seas (3' chop), 5' chop- head for home. Also idled too fast. A few other more minor issues. After reading about that delamination on the other thread & Feretti's finances I wouldn't go near one.
  5. hookumup

hookumup New Member

bert 510

no problem here

really though, if you would rather pull this thread then i have no problems with that at all and i do understand. the quality feed back on the 63 was my motivation and truly it is difficult to find anything on the 510 except worthless magazine reviews. i was directed to your site by one of your forum members, i can forward his name if that is important. if you decide to leave this thread then please pull your initial forboading warning. IT IS PROBABLY A GOOD IDEA TO PULL IT ANYWAY BASED UPON THE NUMBER OF HITS VS THE NUMBER OF REPLIES, 1. i THINK IT IS DEAD ANY WAY AND IF I COULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO PULL IT I WOULD.

Better yet, maybe you would start a thread on the same question. it is a good question as bertram has been manufacturing the 510 since probably 2002. it may be one of the problem lessor of the models, i just do not know but will continue trying to find out..........

HOOKUMUP
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A friend of mine ran a '04 he was not thrilled with it, yet also no dissatisfied with it. It rode OK, not great. Was kind of slow for it's time......I think it cruised at 26 knots.... and there was nothing special about it except I think he said it was wet.

Go with a 54' Hatteras......33 knot cruise.......excellent ride, Ive run one at 33 knots into 6' on the nose and it plows right through them and you don't even feel it. Dry, stable.........good layout....... storage is a little tight......but other then that, it would be my first choice in the 50-55' production boat range......
  7. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

The 510 (and the old 50' it was based on) is a poorly balanced boat, the LCG is too far forward. They run best with several thousand pounds of ballast at the stern, once set up correctly its a decent boat.
  8. Bertramjockey

Bertramjockey New Member

Looking to move up from 2006 Bertram 390 and have a 2008 Bertram 51 under consideration. Will appreciate candid comments, advice, warnings, issues, recommendations. I am not a Bertram "fan" so don't hold back if there is anything I need to hear.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Used to run a 2002 51. Very disappointing compared to the mid-80's 46 I used to run. 5' seas had us heading for port. Slammed in a head sea, and yawed like hell in a quartering sea. Drifting she'd rock like crazy. She had 1050 Mans and burned an average of 80 gph and cruised @ 26 kts. Given what I've read in the Bertram threads here I'm not so sure about the build qaulity. The story of the 2006 63 leaps to mind. Think I'd put my money into a Viking.