Click for Alexseal
Click for Pacific Mariner
Click for Cape Scott
Click for Dockwise
Click for Westport
Click for Bering
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > Motor Yachts > Benetti Yacht > Benetti's - Anyone w/ Experience?

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Benetti's - Anyone w/ Experience?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt J
Most Captains that I know of do not keep a log on such things, however they do keep the reciepts and in cronological order and can go back through the reciepts. However, I manage 7 different yachts at the moment and can tell you off the top of my head what has been changed, when, how often, about how long it took on every single one of them. Most yachts share a lot of common items and most of those items there is no ryhme or reason as to how often they go bad (for example: freshwater pump, bilge pumps, float switches, macerator pumps) etc. etc. unless there is a poor engineering design that causes a known part to fail repeatedly, then I re-engineer it. Some products and parts are known to go bad often........sure-bail float switches have a very poor wire insulation and in a year if there's any fuel or oil or even harsh bilges cleaning chemicals in the bilge water at all the wires will just fall apart. I've also had issues with shur-flo livewell pumps repeatedly.

Sometimes you're stuck using the same products that fail and fail again because of space/mounting locations and keep warranting them out. But this is very rare, only done if you have no other way of swapping to a different design or brand.

I've managed several Azimuts from 2001 to newer. The exhaust expansion joint (I forget the proper name for it, the part is about 12" long) between the exhaust manifold and riser has gone bad on every single Azimut I've managed. It is a very thin, accordian looking piece of stainless steel. You then have to order the $800 part and wait 3 weeks for it to get here and cannot safely use the boat because you have an exhaust leak in the engine room. You cannot change to one made by D'Angelo's of better quality for example, because you'd have to remove the manifold and riser to have US flanges welded onto them to accept the new part. AND, the riser will not come out of the engine room door on the 68' plus, 70' seajet.
Have a guess what boat I'm going to see first thing Monday morning with the same problem.
FISHTIGUA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

An Azimut???? hehehe...... Check the blankets and you'll see which ones the culprit. But when one's bad the 3 others are never far behind. Well, there's only 4 expansion joints per boat. hehehe.......Make sure you order new clamps as well when you order the part as the old ones never hold tension with the new expansion joint........I also put that Fuchs exhaust sealer on the flanges
Capt J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hi J,

I have some old Ford Sabre (Euro Ford diesels) expantion joints that I think will fit on the Cats. I hope that negates dealing with Azimut, you know how much fun that is.
FISHTIGUA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHTIGUA
Hi J,

I have some old Ford Sabre (Euro Ford diesels) expantion joints that I think will fit on the Cats. I hope that negates dealing with Azimut, you know how much fun that is.
If you send them detailed photographs with exact measurements, 3 weeks later you have a 50% chance of recieving the proper part.
Capt J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
YF Associate Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutMyWindow
Based on the 2009 order statistics, the so-called “curse” translates into business success year after year for the world’s most popular yachts.

Italy once again tops the list of countries with the most new yachts on order with 523.
Although No. 2 on the list of countries, yachts built in the United States paled in comparison with just 113 orders.

As for builders, Azimut-Benetti, Feretti Group and Rodriguez Group finished in the top three positions based on total length on order, the same order as last year.
Azimut-Benetti reports 13,030 total feet on order (3,972m) in 111 projects averaging 117 feet.
Interesting. In the Weekend Edition of the WSJ, there was a small piece on FLIBS wherein some wag(s) mentioned that boat buyers were mostly hailing from two geographics: the US Northeast and the Middle east.
That would make these buyers either a) some poor (relatively speaking) SOB who slaves away for twenty hours a day at the bond desk at Goldman Stanley for his mega-bonus or b) some guy who lives in a desert and has the occasional glimpse of water during his lifetime.
Unless they are aficionados of Yacht Forums, they'd likely know less than the average bear about boats in general and much less about arcane aspects of various yachts such as engineering and build quality.

There will always be a market for Italian anything, whether it be Ferraris or Ferrettis because they are sexy, stylish, and make a statement about the guy/gal who's at the wheel...and who is as likely to enter his boat's engine room as change his own oil in his 599 Fiorano.
Loren Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Schweizer
There will always be a market for Italian anything, whether it be Ferraris or Ferrettis because they are sexy, stylish, and make a statement about the guy/gal who's at the wheel...and who is as likely to enter his boat's engine room as change his own oil in his 599 Fiorano.
Funny the generalizations you guys make. I run a new 85' Italian boat with my wife. Not only do I change the oil, but have fixed the toilet. No big deal. Some things harder to do than other things but that's true with nearly all boats. There's always a trade-off. To get closer to perfection, my next boat probably won't be any production boat. Me like "Beothuk"!

By the way, I don't change the oil on my 599 but I do change the tires myself when I've taken it to the track. Definitely not a track car, but great fun to drive. But I guess shear fun is not allowed...
goplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goplay
Funny the generalizations you guys make. I run a new 85' Italian boat with my wife. Not only do I change the oil, but have fixed the toilet. No big deal. Some things harder to do than other things but that's true with nearly all boats. There's always a trade-off. To get closer to perfection, my next boat probably won't be any production boat. Me like "Beothuk"!

By the way, I don't change the oil on my 599 but I do change the tires myself when I've taken it to the track. Definitely not a track car, but great fun to drive. But I guess shear fun is not allowed...
Two valid POV on form and function(maintenance,repair) in terms of what the person likes, and what they do whether is part of the enjoyment or plain work. The polarizer is very personal for sure.

One thing is for sure, those "style rich cultures" that came before us have influenced very much what we like in terms of form. There is no denying that Italy is one of the power houses in this area.

Regarding function looks like there is some consensus among captns that Italian mass produced yachts (i.e Azimut) do tend to break more just like the GMs/Fords/Dodge of the 1980's/1990s and there is/are true quality issue(s), maybe it is because there are more of them so there is a larger probability for the issue to register (sample size).

It is my understanding that Benetti is the "custom" upper class brand name of the Azimut/Benetti company and typically will make the larger yachts for some time now. What I'm trying to find out is whether for example a Benetti ~50m yacht requires significantly higher yearly maintenace/up-keep than a ~50m Heesen or a Palmer-Johnson. Is it 20% of yacht cost for Benetti v.s 10% of yacht cost for a Heesen with similar LOA/features/crew-size/yearly-trips/marina-costs/etc. or at the end is it a wash? I do understand the sample size is small and that why the data may be hard t come by...

In a $50M yacht there is a difference when we talk about $5M v.s $10M in terms of maintenance/up-keep costs (i.e it is felt in the pocket), and also a difference if the owner has to change more his yachting itinerary trips because of yacht readiness due to additional up-keep work (annoyance) .
BigMig is offline   Reply With Quote