Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Comfort

Azimut 39E vs. 42E or 43Plus, which yacht would you buy?

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by Cartmann, Jul 25, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Cartmann

Cartmann New Member

I use search option but I didn't find anything about 39, 42 or 43 model. Does someone have 39? I don't have experience with any of them, so every information will bi helpful.

I find at azimut and cummins web page that all three yachts have (same?) Cummins QSB 5.9 engines (5.9l diesel), but 39E have 355hp, 42E 380hp and 43 425hp or 480hp.

If someone have one of this yachts I will be thankful for any info.

39E is 12,22m long, and 43 is 12,90m long. 43 cost 566.500 Eur + tax, 39 471.600 Eur + tax. Most time I will be alone on yacht, only at summer I plan to cruise with my guests (15-20nm, from Bol (island Brac, Croatia) to Makarska or Hvar).

Sorry for language (eng. grammar and sentence construction). :)
  2. fdirocc

fdirocc New Member

I have a 39, 2000 Repowered with QSB 380's

I bought a used 2000 39 in 2004. Last year I fnally gave up on the trash that were the CAT 3116's when a blocked cracked (They tend to do that). I totally upgraded the boat. The Cummins common rails are FANTANSTIC and with a cheap extended 6 year warranty you can't go wrong. The boat hads a lot of custom work that we liked like flat screens, NOBELTEC radar and PC computer navigations, SAT Phone, Direct TV and the rest. We would not habe recouped the costs so we repowered and kep the boat.
    The 39 has a modified V Hull. The 42 has a deeper V, less so on the new 43 (Not much larger than the 39 or 42 but they now count the swim paltform Originally it was called the 40 nut they figured they could justify the the high price calling it the 43).
    The 43 has V drives. Not the easiest thing to deal with on boats this size. You probably would have to remove the engine to do important work on the drive. This arragement gives you more interior space but the trouble if you hit the running gear and push in the shaft, to me is not worth the risk. Then again, everything on my boat is redudant. We cruise offshore a lot.
    The 43 and 42 give you full showers on both heads, The 39 has a curtain and no separate shower on the day head.
    The 39 is now discontinued to be replaced buy the smaller 38. The 42 will probably go soon too.
    I have been in all of them and been offshore in all of them. I would say the 42E has the nicest ride.
    If you are buying new, I would get the Cummins Engine controls (I have them). They are fantastic. I don't understand why Azimut uses Mathers controllers. YOu miss 70 of the extra funtions like automatic sync, cruise control and control of the iddle speed.
    Azimut misses on reliability issues like double Racors, crossover battery switches (Robust as opposed to a relay) and similar. All of these can be added as options.
    I have been on 10 Ft seas on my little 39. The boat will fly out of the water but it takes it like a champ meaning the boat is solid. Ride confort is totally gone on anything over 2 to 4. The 42 might do better. The 43 has stabilizers aft which improve stability as you slow down in rought seas.
    For my money, a used 55 is the best in the Azimut stable that rivals the price of the new 43. The 55 has a deep V, extra cabin, lot's of room for toys and a much much better ride ans stability in chop.
    I was selling the 39 and buying a used 55 but the family cried foul. We all love our little 39 and have nothing but great memories from it (except the CAT engines). It still turms heads at a marina and the low fuel cost is a plus.
    These boats have as worldwide market at the time of resale. They get shipped all over the world. Azimut is debt free, unlike many other that going bust. These days, that might be the most important consideration.
    Good Luck
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I am not familiar with the AZimut's mentioned. But the 50' Azimut has a lot more room inside and out then the 55' and feels like a lot larger boat. A lot of interior room is wasted on the 55' with the lower station being in the center of the boat versus off to the stbd side.

The cummins engines are good, reliable and run clean and fairly quiet. I don't think you could go wrong with them. Although I prefer the cat C12's the 50' azimut has.