Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for Walker
Click for Cheoy Lee
Click for Elling
Click for JetForums
Click for Lurssen
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > Motor Yachts > Azimut Yacht > An objective opinion on Azimuts...

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

An objective opinion on Azimuts...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #31 (permalink)

That sounds like poor quality control and/or their putting out boats at such a fast pace no looks after themselves.
lwrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrandall
That sounds like poor quality control and/or their putting out boats at such a fast pace no looks after themselves.
Yeah, but they're pretty. Isn't that all that counts?
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAP123
Yeah, but they're pretty. Isn't that all that counts?
Yeah, and whats the big deal, don't most Motoryachts sit at the dock 99.5% of the time anyways!!!!!!
Capt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #34 (permalink)

I have sea trialed and surveyed both the Azimut 80 and Ferretti 810 back in '04. The Azimut seemed to be the better assembled boat at the time, but after reading the survey reports the decision was made to purchase neither.

It didn't help that the surveyor suggested (off the record and payroll, after passing on both) that for the money I ought to buy "a real boat".
Schminsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schminsky
I have sea trialed and surveyed both the Azimut 80 and Ferretti 810 back in '04. The Azimut seemed to be the better assembled boat at the time, but after reading the survey reports the decision was made to purchase neither.

It didn't help that the surveyor suggested (off the record and payroll, after passing on both) that for the money I ought to buy "a real boat".
Could you share some of the surveyors comments and findings?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #36 (permalink)

Don't you just hate shelling out millions only to face embarrassment. Used to get that when I captained a Carver.
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:

And you ended buying a __________ ?
Nice that you shoot both boats down however to make the donkey and the carrot trick work, you gotta show the donkey the carrot.
PropBet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #38 (permalink)
YF Associate Writer

Quote:

Sounds like Butch was the surveyor.
Loren Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #39 (permalink)

I currently own an 06 Azimut 68 Evolution, which I had bought new about 3 years ago. Fortunately, I have not experienced any major problems whatsoever. The boat runs quite dry (we rarely get over 6 foot seas), is comfortable, and trouble free.

One area where I think the 68 could've benefited was with zero speed stabilizers, or anti-roll gyros. At anchor, there tends to be significant body roll, even in calm seas. I understand that Azimut have now come out with a zero-speed stabilizer option on the new 70 and larger yachts, which'll help with this issue.

Some of the fit and finish issues that I did experience were minor, and involved such things as the refigerator door latches coming loose during body roll, poor workmanship and quality of drapes and curtains in saloon and staterooms, as well as some issues with carpeting, especially in the corners and around door stoppers.

Other than that, the boat has been great, and I would definitely recommend one of the newer Azimuts.
Hiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #40 (permalink)

Hiper thank you for your reply.

I was looking at the Seakeeper Anti-roll Gyro, which by the way is now available on Azimut models from 47' and higher, save the 55'. Then I looked at the price of $120,000.00 US for one and for boats 62' and higher require 2 gyros at $240,000.00 US. I understand if your boat has a list price of $3.5mil or higher $240,000.00 additional might not seem unreasonable. I really like the 58' and these following remarks are in no way negative and not a deal breaker in any way, but is just a fact. Buying an Azimut is almost like buying a Porsche, everything's an option. $2.0 mil plus boats that don't include double Racors ($4,500) or a Cable Master ($10,550 per reel) seems like a builder padding the bottom line. I would think these are standard equipment on most boats in this price range and a no brainer for inclusion on the standard equipment list.

If you don't mind Hiper, if I get more serious may I PM you in the future?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
$2.0 mil plus boats that don't include double Racors ($4,500) or a Cable Master ($10,550 per reel) seems like a builder padding the bottom line. I would think these are standard equipment on most boats in this price range and a no brainer for inclusion on the standard equipment list.
Hi,

I know of boats costing 70 times that amount where there is an upcharge for a proper cable reel.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1
Hi,

I know of boats costing 70 times that amount where there is an upcharge for a proper cable reel.
Do builders really think the crew or owner is going to want to haul around a 50ft 50 amp or 100 amp cable?!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #43 (permalink)

Hi,

The boats I am talking about have at least 4 Shore Power Cables as each conductor is separate, if they were all in one cable they would be too heavy and stiff to move with anything lass than a machine.

They do not get to plug in very often and it is a major effort when this happens so it is not really a big deal.

Part of the yards argument for no reel is the risk of having the cable powered up while still coiled around the reel and that they can't get a reel with Slip Rings that can handle the current.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Hiper thank you for your reply.

If you don't mind Hiper, if I get more serious may I PM you in the future?
Absolutely! I'll be more than happy to help you out
Hiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #45 (permalink)

-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAP123
Don't you just hate shelling out millions only to face embarrassment. Used to get that when I captained a Carver.
Simply stated - NEVER buy a boat that ends in "ER."
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote