Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Abeking

Aquos "Big Fish" review comments...

Discussion in 'Aquos Yacht' started by YachtForums, Oct 19, 2010.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Because Aquos is a new brand and new to YF, I'm posting a thread in their forum to get the ball rolling...
  2. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

First off, thank you for another fantastic review. You could not have picked a better one to start out with larger photos. I still have not yet finished digesting the "Fish", but I will finish tonight. I think it has become my new favorite.

The larger pics do put a bit of the side off screen, however, not enough to bother me. I can still tell who's ads are there(if adblock is off).

I will look forward to discussing her more after I have finished the review. I had a couple of questions, but I will wait until I have finished before asking, as the answer is probably in there. It usually is:)

And not to forget, thanks go out to Aquos and her owner for allowing us the pleasure of the review.
  3. YachtForums

Thanks Scot. Bringing these reviews to life is a pleasure, but it's also a fair amount of work. Between myself and Chuck, we had about 80 hours into this, but it doesn't seem that long when you're writing about something that's exciting, interesting or different. It's easy to write about cutting edge, but you have to muster up the energy for cookie cutters. ;)

I have about 50 detail pics that I didn't include in the review. At some point, you have to concede... "enough is enough". But truthfully, it isn't. Each of the boats we over could easily have a book dedicated to them. But, how many people would read it is questionable?

It was a pleasure to work with Jim Gilbert. This is a gent who knows the yachting industry and he knows his product. I wish him well in this new venture. Special recognition should be extended to McMullen & Wing. They did an exceptional job. But mostly... Greg Marshall for an absolutely stellar design!
  4. Maybe this is one of best reviews ever seen, mainly because bigger photos and the few texts for the ones who goes reading seems ok this size. It is impressive the quality of the yacht in the details, in which the WC with bidet I personally would skip here, maybe another one of the 50 pics instead.
  5. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

I was quite impressed by said WC.

So are you saying there is no place for a little humour and lightheartedness here at YF? It was totally appropriate as far as I am concerned. With the time and effort that goes into these reviews, one should be doing nothing but thanking the review personnel for their effort and time. See below:

Thanks again for another fantastic review guys.
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I have a copy of 'Big Fish' on my book shelf, a favourite.

The boat itself I'm not so sure about. Do designers ever go out cruising in places with less than calm weather?

The main tender launching system looks very impressive but the crew are going to have fun trying to retreive the tender while she's pitching and rolling in rough seas. Trust me, it happens.

There is no deck area that I could see that has any sort of sheltering from the wind. On long cruises you may still want to relax outside but the wind can howl. A bit of of a wind break is most welcome.

The interior is very tasteful but very open plan. On the bridge there are no handholds except for the wheel that I could see, also no where to place a cup of coffee. On a 5000 mile passage its amazing how much coffee and soda gets drunk on the bridge.

In the galley there does not seem to be any fiddles on the counter tops to stop plates fly off. There are very few flat areas to lay plates out for the service of 10 guests. I hope there's a big walk-in fridge/freezer down below because the little ones in the galley photo wouldn't last a week.

In the guest area, stainless steel bannisters with open glass coners will become a hip surgeon's retirement fund! The gym equipment and free weights don't seem to be held down by anything but gravity. It's not much fun running after a running machine in heavy weather.

Other than those little quibbles, she seems a well built boat with a purposeful look. Well done Carl and the team for some stunning photos.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I liked some of the things in the review.

The use of Granite instead of Teak is an interesting one. It will be good to see how it lasts once it has seen some serious service.

The Toilet in the photos made me laugh, they are an essential piece of ships equipment and very few have ever featured in a review let alone get a special mention.

My thoughts on the Tender launching set up are not all that positive.

As suggested earlier it will be interesting to see how it all works when there is any sort of a seaway running. Also, How do the crew get into the tender and release the lifting gear once it has been launched or how do they hook it up to lift and get out or does someone ride up and down in it?
  8. nossmayo

nossmayo New Member

Little picky little detail - Edmund Hillary conquered Everest in 1953. He was born in 1919.

Yours pedantically,

NM
  9. YachtForums

Detail noted. Thank you!
  10. Joseph Hartwic

Joseph Hartwic New Member

That is one sweet boat! I liked the granite decks vs. teak, be interesting to see how they hold up. I had the same concerns about the weights in the gym flying around in a storm. I realize that some features were done because of the boat being "for hire" to offer the paying guests maximum luxury, so I would have set some things up different for a private boat (if it were mine), but it is still one sweet ride. Any details on hull strength as far as going thru pack ice in Antartica? Anything special done there? My first thought when seing the storage area for the tender was WOW! What a nice cargo hold for food and supplies. I know if I have to ask, I can't afford one, and I KNOW I can't afford this, but what's the ballpark price on something like this (just in case I ever win the lottery)?
  11. ^ I read somewhere, it costs about some 200 k to 250 k dollars a week for chartering. I loved the granite as well, and about tender in bow, seemed really complicated to get in and out, but i did not commented, because i am not Deckhand, neither Yachter expert.
  12. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Truly an impressive boat, and a review, second to none.
    Very nicely done Carl and Team. I am always impressed, and thrilled to see a new review released which draws me to that evenings time sink.

The backstory of her name, "Big Fish" is also quite touching and a very cool tidbit of information. Thank you for including as part of the review.

I hope one day to fish that big.

Again, outstanding review YF! 'Atta Boys' all around.
  13. FullaFlava

FullaFlava New Member

I'm afraid to say that I was disappointed with the description and lack of pictures of any technical or crew spaces; The one picture of the main engine looked like it had been taken on the fly. The deck layout is difficult to read and beyond my meagre computing skills to blow up so I could make more sense of it.

Whilst fold out balconies etc seem to be the new rock n roll, all I see are problems down the line with sea water leakage in and hydraulic fluid out.

Nice to see an alternative to teak being tried in a large format though it looks like patio tiles.
  14. YachtForums

You are right. The main engine shot was taken on the fly, by me. At the time of the tour, an electrical problem had shut down power and the chief engineer was trying to isolate and repair. Aquos didn’t supply pro-pics of the engine room, so you guys will have to make do with my Canon SureShot pics that I use to jog my memory when writing. The first is the Engineer's station and workbench...

Attached Files:

15. YachtForums

Like I said, we we lost power and were on back-up batteries. The engineer was trying to diagnose...

Attached Files:

16. YachtForums

On the subject of electrical systems, here's the overhead wiring runs in the engine room. Neat, tidy and accessible. Just as they should be (not painted!)

Attached Files:

17. YachtForums

Manifolds are orderly. Access is fast and unobstructed...

Attached Files:

18. YachtForums

Lots of redundant systems onboard. Piggy back air compressors...

Attached Files:

19. YachtForums

About the best overall shot I have of the engine room. The rest of my shots were close-up details...

Attached Files:

20. Pretty Wonderful Organized made. So must be. Is all those Wires indentified as well?, seem to me, but it is not seen in picture. Well, I see all with tie-ups, it means very professionally done. When I worked for Honeywell Systems to Airports, Building and Factories, we tried to do this best as well, unfortunatly difficult to find the right man capacity to operate the digital controls. Well, this is far in past, but when seeing those pics, remembered me those times. Thanks for sharing those photos, very appreciated to see well done those Boat Systems. Actually not much far of HVAC, Chillers, Cooling Towers & Sensors.