Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Aviva vs. Excellence IV

Discussion in 'Abeking & Rasmussen Yacht' started by Dan Evans, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

Many times when questions are asked regarding which yacht looks better than the others, the conclusion is that you can't compare apples to oranges. But what if your "apple" is Aviva and your "orange" is Excellence IV? These two yachts are almost identical as far as the hull and the superstructure styling, but their bows are obviously different. I started looking at these two yachts trying to decide which bow I like better when the drawing of Excellence IV came out. Now that Excellence IV has been launched I have started thinking about it again and wanted to know what everyone else thinks.

I am focusing on the bows, but please share any opinions on the rest of the yachts!

Dan

ps~Does anyone know the color of Excellence IV's hull? Its hard to see with the lighting...

Aviva
    Aviva.JPG

Excellence IV
    Excellence4[1].JPG
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

It's a Bow thing

I think there is a new thinking about the style of Big Boat Bows at the moment. About 10/15 years ago production sailboats from France and Italy started to change from the pointy-sharpend racer to a bit more of a straight stem/bluff bow for a better race rating. They do look a lot more interesting that the usual Marina Muppets. The new look from Feadship , Blomm und Voss,et al is a new step forward Just not sure how 'Dry' they are? May be a lot of washing down involved.
    Dave
    '
  3. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

The yacht is to be called Eminence and not Excellence IV. She was to be called Excellence IV but she was resold during construction.
  4. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

Update

Okay, so Eminence vs. Aviva! Thank you for the update YachtLuver.
  5. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

The recent launches of Sigma and Predator make looking at various bows a timely topic.

From a purely aesthetic perspective I prefer the bow of Aviva. What I'd really like to know is if there are efficiency differences showing up between what are otherwise similar hulls.
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Weren't all the other 'Exellence' yachts Navy Blue painted?
    Dave
  7. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Conventional shear bow ( Eminence) vs the knife bow (Aviva) vs reverse bow (Predator & Project Sigma). The efficiency question is debatable and I think one would have to get ahold of gas consumption and speed tests and so on of each type of vessel and how they perform in various sea-states.
  8. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

Good question. I know that considerable efforts (and funds) were spent on Aviva to make her more stable. Does Eminence have the same technology under the water as Aviva?

I like Aviva's bow much better as well. Not that Eminence isn't beautiful as well, but Aviva demands attention because of its bold design. It stands out from the crowd, but in a good way.

Dan
  9. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Based on the snippets of technical information floating around, the top half of a "knife" or "Axe" bow is very similar to the conventional one, and displaces water in similar manner, resulting in no extra water displacement or spray. All the advantages are below the surface as the boat tracks better and is more economical to operate.
    (or something like that)

*put me down for Aviva
  10. DBowman78

DBowman78 Senior Member

While I like the idea of the "knife' or "axe' bow, I've never thought it worked on Aviva. For me, the bow and the swept back mast and superstructure design just don't fit together.

My vote is for Eminence.
  11. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Yes that would be awesome to compare. My vote now would go to the reverse bow design.
  12. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

I was fortunate enough to be on Eminence before she was launched and she is a beautiful vessel. I just cannot make up my mind what boat looks the best as they both look good.
  13. The Reverend

The Reverend New Member

Grey is Good

I was fortunate to be involved with Aviva during the construction and delivery so I had a long time to get used to seeing that bow around.

The effficiency was excellent and more importantly for the owner the seakeeping was outstanding.
    I have been in involved with couple of prestigous large yachts with conventional bows since and compared to Aviva they somehow seem a little 'old fashioned'!

One other thing that I can say is that A&R are building yachts that are equal in quality with the very best builders around.

My vote is for Aviva (but then I may be biased).
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Beauty vs: Beauty / Future vs: Past
    I vote for Aviva mainly because I've been looking at the older design long enough and they're all starting to blend together. Both owners are sure to be rightly proud. I suspect that Aviva will operate more efficiently and with better sea-keeping abilities though.