Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Abeking

1955 Abeking & Rasmussen 112' Classic Yacht

Discussion in 'Abeking & Rasmussen Yacht' started by YachtForums, Jul 18, 2004.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I found this 1955 Abeking & Rasmussen 112' classic motor yacht along the docks of the Ft. Myers City Marina, located along the Caloosahatchee River in southwest Florida.

She's desperately in need of restoration, as she's starting to resemble a log full of splinters, but in her day, she must have been one of the most magnificent yachts afloat.

Enjoy a walk down memory canal...

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

1955 Abeking & Rasmussen 112' Classic - Bow

Attached Files:

3. YachtForums

1955 Abeking & Rasmussen 112' Classic - forward quarter

Attached Files:

4. YachtForums

1955 Abeking & Rasmussen 112' Classic - pilothouse

Attached Files:

5. YachtForums

1955 Abeking & Rasmussen 112' Classic - "Sans Souci"

Attached Files:

6. YachtForums

1955 Abeking & Rasmussen 112' Classic

Attached Files:

7. YachtForums

1955 Abeking & Rasmussen 112' Classic - Side looking forward

Attached Files:

8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Nice yacht! Probably the yard nr4996, Vedersein, built for A.Laytham in the USA, 33.6m. Or it is the yard nr 5000, Westlake II, built for H. Dougler of California. She was 36 m.
  9. oceanvoyager

oceanvoyager New Member

Yes....it is VEDERSEIN, desgined by Geerd N. Hendel. It's rather sad that they've changed her over the years and built up the stern, created an extended coachroof, etc. As launched she was one of the handsomest of yachts afloat at the time- a thing of great beauty- and she still is- under all those additions. She perfect for a high-end restoration.
  10. oceanvoyager

oceanvoyager New Member

A&R remodel

Further to my recent posting, here is the vessel being offered as a restoration-remodeling project by Northrop % Johnson

Attached Files:

11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Let´s hope this remodeling never happens! I think her exterior is pretty nice as it is and adding that height to a narrow hull would be a mistake. As with all those "modern" stern extensions that are destroying almost all yachts they are fitted to.:mad:

In my opinion, tug and icebreaker conversions is a great way of making use of old ships, but vintage yachts should only be restored to their former glory, with the modern equipment being invisible fitted in. :)
  12. oceanvoyager

oceanvoyager New Member

Yes, the whole re-design concept is bad. I am a restorer of "brass" (pre-1915) cars, so I have a bias towards the "restoration" process. Hendel's design was his absolute best effort.

Geerd Hendel must be spinning in his grave with the thought of that happening to his design. I don't know if you've ever seen an original photo of her when she was delivered; but she was amongst the most beautiful yachts on the Eastern Coast of the USA for many years.

It's all quite sad.

oceanvoyager
  13. oceanvoyager

oceanvoyager New Member

There were two A&R vessels to a similar Hendel design

The first was in 1955 (as discussed above) and the second (larger) design was built in (approximately) 1971-73. Apparently, accoring to other discussions, it is the SECOND and larger Hendel design that's the subject of the modification and restoration pictured in illustration- and not the first. So, the design of 1955 (photos as above) will remain in her present state.
  14. capncharlie

capncharlie New Member

Sans Souci Repairs

Sans Souci,1955 Abeking & Rasmussen Boat #4996

original name was Vedersein, other known names are Genie, Salamar, Amerada.

She is now dry docked at Bradford Marine, Ft Lauderdale FL and is being repaired for damages caused by Hurricane Wilma and much needed maintenance.

Attached Files:

15. capncharlie

capncharlie New Member

It has been a long year since Hurricane Wilma, we launched Sans Souci Thursday Nov 9, 06 most of the repairs completed. She needs paint now and some system upgrades.

Attached Files:

16. Notorious

Notorious New Member

Glad to see the boat getting repaired.

Last time I saw the boat you were diving under it to try and stick some epoxy in the leaks. It's nice to see that you finally were able to get the owner to give the boat its much needed repairs.

I was talking to you about a 83' feadship I was going to buy. However your comments about steel frames in woden boats being less than the best configuration made me think about it. Did you have to do any frame replacements while in the yard?
  17. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

She sounds like the former "Exuberance" previously owned by a Banker from Baltimore. The last photos I saw of her were heart breaking. Under her former ownership in the late 80's in Baltimore, she was beautifully maintained. Without full time skilled crew, these large wooden ladies deteriorate rapidly.
  18. capncharlie

capncharlie New Member

Sans Souci

Hello Notorious, Sorry I haven't replied earlier, I didn't realize we had gone on to page 2. While we were in the yard we did not have to repair any of the steel structure, we did replace a lot of the oak hull frames, I was disapointed that Bradford did not have the capability to steam bend the frames. We have put the boat up for sale and are still in Ft Lauderdale. Have you found a boat yet I remember you were ready to dig in and get dirty!!!!!
    I have attached a photo of a real piece of history that is here with us, the presidental yacht "HONEY FITZ" made famous as John Kennedy's yacht when he renamed her for his Grandfather. Once she is off the rails I will get a better photo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007