View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
brian eiland

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook
Of course the Falcon has 3 masts. My hunch (and I admit it's only a hunch) is that the DynaRig concept lends itself best to multi-mast designs. For a single mast I would prefer a more conventional sail plan.

I think a major factor holding back the multihull motorsailers is that they are not self-righting. Find some way to overcome that issue and bingo! The demand for multihulls would start climbing.

Kelly
I can also appreciate the interaction that occurs between fore-to-aft sails in a conventional rig, and those that could occur between a multi-masted Dynarig. But usually it's a case of the one sail gaining and the other losing...sort of a cancelling out. A uni-rigged vessel might lose a little in pointing ability, but the far greater savings in money for a uni-rig certainly makes financial sense. And there is considerable less aero drag.

The question of self-righting has always plagued the multihull. In this particular design I believe the mast and the yardarms could be built as watertight (sealed) entities by not requiring the very light weight sailcloths be furled-up inside the mast. Those sealed rigging pieces could provide for floatation in the unlikely event of capsize....in which case she would lie on her side to some degree. This could (and I emphasize 'could') provide for a righting method that would not exist if she were turtle.

I am forever amazed at the powerboat crowd that speaks to this capsizing problem of multihulls without ever looking inwardly at taking some of the power designs offshore in a real sea.

...not a real big sea, but I would not want to be on this vessel in a BIG sea
Attached Images
brian eiland is online now   Reply With Quote